Application from Velaxi - Warlock

Trivorx
Battle tag: Trivorx#2183

Application from Velaxi - Warlock

Post by Trivorx » 03 Jan 2019, 17:08

A user, Velaxi, has applied with the following information using the application form.
Character name: Velaxi
Class: Warlock
Why should we choose you and what is your reason for applying?:
I consider myself a competent player with great encounter awareness and that cares more about killing the boss/playing as a group than padding or getting high parses. I can accomplish specifically given tasks with ease when required and be vocal if something unexpected happens. I also do my research on every fight and know what I should be doing by default if not given a specific task. I don't need to be micromanaged.
Raid Role (healer/DPS/tank): DPS
Link to armory profile: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... zak/Velaxi
Link to wow progress: https://www.wowprogress.com/character/eu/kazzak/Velaxi
Link to logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/33205047
Link a screenshot of your raid-UI (imgur.com): https://i.imgur.com/wyzGdir.jpg
Most notable alt (link armory): My only alt is a 365 rogue that I leveled to progress on Zul. I didn't bother leveling other alts because of the neck reputation grind and general downgrade of BFA gameplay vs Legion (I played 6 classes up to Heroic level), but if needed and with the recent catchup mechanics I can get my mage or monk prepared for next raid(maybe other classes too).
Why are you leaving your current/last guild?: My current raiding group has fallen apart during Christmas, with 3 leadership positions having left. Ever since BFA released we have slowly been bleeding core players that I've grown accustomed wit ever since I joined the group back in ToS, but this past month has seen an unprecedent amount of burnout and apathy towards the game, and I can't continue trying to raid lead when people just aren't that interested.
Why do you want to join Santa Maria?: Even with BFA's failings, my enjoyment of raiding has never waned. I want a solid group of focused people that enjoy playing together as a group to kill high difficulty PvE encounters.
What is your raiding experience this expansion?: I have joined my current raiding group late into ToS, back when it was Predication. During the end of Antorus, our previous GM suddenly kicked us out of the discord and removed all our sheets, saying that he wants to bring over some friends to be more of a social guild. We then formed Valued the same night, recleared Antorus for our 600th position, and went into BFA slowly making progress to 500.
When did you start playing WoW?: August 2006, Vanilla. I started my raiding career in Wotlk with a group of friends which later disbanded in Firelands Cata patch. I then took a break and didn't play for the rest of Cata, MOP, or WOD. I came back at the start of legion, got into a friends' social raiding guild, but I wanted a bit more focus and skill during raids, so I jumped to Kazzak and that's where I joined Predication. The rest can be seen in the "raiding experience" part.
Do you have a reliable PC & connection?: Yes, i5 4690k OCed, GTX1070, Gigabit fiber internet.
Are you comfortable speaking on Discord?: Yes
Do you know anyone here who can vouch for you?: No.
Anything you would like to add?: For logs, please check my 8.0 logs. I played affliction instead of demo on some fights in 8.1 mostly because I had to raid lead as well, so I chose something I was used to so I could focus on raid leading. I have no problems with demo now that I don't have to lead anymore. Also, I am aware I'm a bit behind with neck levels since I stopped any AP activity beyond weekly M+10 when I got the defensive traits on all 3 pieces. I restarted grinding AP stuff when they mentioned that AK would be locked until the new raid opens. I intend to be at an acceptable level when the raid hits.
Sov
Melee officer / admin
Melee officer / admin
Battle tag: sov#2531

Re: Application from Velaxi - Warlock

Post by Sov » 03 Jan 2019, 17:58

Hey Velaxi, thank you for applying to Santa Maria. We will have a look at your application and discuss it internally, expect an answer within 2 or 3 days, if there arise any questions, feel free to poke me (sov#2531) or any of the other officers (Sham & Euphori).

Regards,

Sov.
Trivorx

Post by Trivorx » 04 Jan 2019, 02:16

I have forgotten to mention in the "raid experience" portion that I changed mains in BFA to warlock.
If you're curious about my previous tiers performance here are the links:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... /syllavesh
https://www.wowprogress.com/character/e ... /Syllavesh
whatasham
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Battle tag: sham#2569

Post by whatasham » 04 Jan 2019, 13:17

Hi Velaxi,

Thanks for app. A few questions for you before we look into your current warlock logs:

1 - We have set a neck level of 38 for the opening of Mythic raids. Do you think you can get there in time so you are not starting behind the raid team already?

2 - We currently run 2 very good warlocks (but we lack mages!). I would be ok with going to a 3rd warlock but I need to ensure that you can play all 3 specs at a good level. What can I expect from your Destro play and Demo play?

3 - Can you clarify your role in the guild at the moment? You mention having to raid lead but that 3 other lead positions have left. Are you an officer/raid leader or is this "by default" since they left?

Thanks,
Sham
Trivorx

Post by Trivorx » 04 Jan 2019, 15:35

1 - I will calculate how much AP I need from now until Mythic opens and see if I need to do any extra farming beyond the daily routines. Blizzard has said AK will not increase until 22nd Jan (Heroic raid opens) but I don't know if that means we instantly get 1 level of AK, or that it starts increasing from the following week. Whatever the case may be I will stockpile some paragon reputation chests (they have 2500AP) to have them benefit from potentially 2 levels of AK right on the day the mythic raid opens. I believe I should be able to attain lvl 38.

2 - I have dabbled in Demonology even before Uldir and found the gameplay interesting, just a bit unrewarding DPS wise for how much investment you put into it and how vulenerable to movement it is. Now that it's the new "best" spec for warlock I will obviously master it in a few days played. Destro is quite simple to play. I will play whatever spec performs best given the fight we're currently tackling. I'm no stranger to playing and mastering a variety of specs.
Regarding your lack of mages, perhaps later in the tier if you find my performance acceptable and I end up joining you I can level up my mage and have it as a mythic ready alt or even swap to it in the coming tier.

3 - Ever since I joined my group on Kazzak in ToS I've been trying to help out beyond just being a good player. This led to me proposing various strategies that ended up helping us progress. Ever since our raid leader announced his inevitable departure at the beginning of December, we've had another officer take over his position with me helping as a form of "tactics officer". I helped call stuff out wherever I felt the need to. Afterwards our "new" raid leader got a very good promotion at work which required him to be available for work and calls during our regular raid hours (US company). And that's how it all fell upon me to become the new raid leader. Just to clarify, our guild has announced that it's no longer raiding to give the people that still wanted to raid time to find a decent guild until the new raid launches.
Elysiene
Raider
Raider

Post by Elysiene » 04 Jan 2019, 20:20

Do you have better affliction azerite pieces? You're logged out as destro in 375 pieces. This is my only concern. I actually think this is a really strong app I just see that your weapon is non ideal stats but obviously high ilvl, azerite pieces are low, and a few pieces of your gear have put you in a place where you have too much versatility and crit. I know you get what you get but can you make a quick comment on that?

Your experience and logs are great in my opinion, just want to be sure you've got a high mastery high azerite ilvl set for affliction ready?
Trivorx

Post by Trivorx » 04 Jan 2019, 21:12

I logged out now in Affliction if you wish to recheck. I have all Azerite pieces from Uldir at mythic level available except for G'huun's shoulder piece. I only have 1 piece of 390 Azerite from M+ cache(RNG) but at least it has good traits for all 3 specs. I use Destro as WQ spec and I didn't want to swap over my traits every time so I just equipped some 375 I had lying around.

My Affliction set has ~1200 mastery and ~1100 haste. I used to be at about 1600 mastery but haste started simming way higher(higher than int) at that point. The stats on the weapon are pretty bad but it simmed 4% higher than my 385 1H+OH.
Elysiene
Raider
Raider

Post by Elysiene » 04 Jan 2019, 21:35

Nice,

Mastery just gains insane value on 2+ target spread for affy...

Thanks for the quick reply, talk soon binks
whatasham
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Battle tag: sham#2569

Post by whatasham » 07 Jan 2019, 21:41

hey man,
we'd like to propose that you join on us on thursday for a pre-trial raid. we want to see you "do tha deeps" in our current raid group to get better logs of you DPSing when not raid leading.

i have no issue whatsoever running three solid warlocks (and one less mage), i need to ensure you are on par with our current locks/dpsers otherwise it won't be equitable.

works for you? if all is good then we proceed to a normal trial and we'll take our decision post clearing heroic dazaralorloralor or whatever it is called ;)

- sham
Trivorx

Post by Trivorx » 08 Jan 2019, 13:38

Sure, that's the best thing I can ask for, a chance to prove myself. We'll see each other on thursday then. :)