Application from Siluth - Death Knight

Siluth
Raider
Raider
Battle tag: silu#2244

Application from Siluth - Death Knight

Post by Siluth » 03 Sep 2018, 00:57

A user, Siluth, has applied with the following information using the application form.
Character name: Siluth
Class: Death Knight
Why should we choose you and what is your reason for applying?:
Took a break from (after) Mythic Aggramar to BFA pre-patch and looking to get back into raiding, but less hardcore than I used to due to RL commitments and simply of not wanting to play that way anymore (i.e. no mandatory alts or extremely high required itemlevel pre-raids and stuff like that).

100% attendance is 0% problem and have tons of high-end raiding experience (cleared everything since WotLK when it was relevant, climbing from about world #800 to eventually around #30 with eXample).

Currently playing Frost, but will play whatever spec is necessary (by strategy, boss design or simply viability).

Some other guilds that don't require alts, start their raids really early, or raid a ton but don't have the ranks to show for it. That doesn't really work for me so you seemed a good fit :)
Raid Role (healer/DPS/tank): DPS (can tank when necessary, have been OT before)
Link to armory profile: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... %C3%ADluth
Link to wow progress: https://www.wowprogress.com/character/e ... %C3%ADluth
Link to logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... e=detailed, eXample doesn't have public logs for more recent Mythic stuff unfortunately :( Heroic Antorus: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=4, Heroic ToS https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=4, some random heroic-run, part of which I tanked in personal logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/x6znZtdRmLBW8g3C
Link a screenshot of your raid-UI (imgur.com): (pic from Antorus after tanking Aggramar but UI is largely unchanged)
Most notable alt (link armory): No 120 alts currently, but Legion main alt was Sílmon, https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... %C3%ADlmon (not sure yet what BFA alt will be but probably not monk)
Why are you leaving your current/last guild?: Not part of current raid roster by choice
Why do you want to join Santa Maria?: Good raid schedule, no pressure to gear multiple characters, long history so probably not going disband immediately when drama arises, same realm so it's easy etc
What is your raiding experience this expansion?: Irrelevant for BFA of course :) Past experience is everything from WotLK to Legion except Argus (started break before he fell)
When did you start playing WoW?: Played in vanilla for a bunch but not to 60. Came back with WotLK release and rolled a DK and been maining that ever since
Do you have a reliable PC & connection?: Yes
Are you comfortable speaking on Discord?: Yes, thought I don't tend to "chit chat"/"banter" a ton but will respond when asked and when I feel I have something useful to contribute. No luls or pogchamps from me (too old for that stuff)
Do you know anyone here who can vouch for you?: Not that I know of
Anything you would like to add?: Nah I think I wrote enough as it is :)
whatasham
Officer
Officer
Battle tag: sham#2569

Re: Application from Siluth - Death Knight

Post by whatasham » 03 Sep 2018, 08:54

Hi Siluth,
Thanks for the solid app. Are you free tonight to have a little chat in game or on discord? What time suits you?

I’ll post a couple of questions for you this morning.

Sham
Siluth
Raider
Raider

Post by Siluth » 03 Sep 2018, 11:02

Hi Sham,

thanks. Sure thing, I'll probably log in at around 19:30 server time, and hang around to 24 or so. So anytime during that you can poke me ingame or silu#9281 on Discord. Either one is fine :)
whatasham
Officer
Officer

Post by whatasham » 03 Sep 2018, 13:22

Great - I'll catch you tonight then.

In the meantime, here are the questions I had:

1) Can you explain a bit more your role and involvement at eXample? I've clicked through their kill vids since Fallen Avatar, and I only see you tanking in 2-3 first kills: Varimathras / Coven / Aggramar. So were you a main raider in the guild? Mainspec tank or DPS? Why were you not brought to more first kills?

2) If you were MS tank, have you played DPS roles before at a good level? It is not easy to swap roles to DPS for the first time and be putting out great numbers

3) I hope you recognise that going from world 30 to world 300 guild that we are obviously less hardcore than your current guildmates. This will mean that we will be less prepared, less organised and sometimes make stupid mistakes more often than you might be used to in your current raid setting. This will lead to slower progress and some frustrating wipes. Are you sure that this is something you would be OK with?

speak later,
Sham
Siluth
Raider
Raider

Post by Siluth » 03 Sep 2018, 15:11

We can talk about all these more later today, but some initial thoughts since it's a quiet day at work :) This ended up being a wall-o-text. In written form I have a tendency to ramble...
1) Can you explain a bit more your role and involvement at eXample? I've clicked through their kill vids since Fallen Avatar, and I only see you tanking in 2-3 first kills: Varimathras / Coven / Aggramar. So were you a main raider in the guild? Mainspec tank or DPS? Why were you not brought to more first kills?
Antorus was a really stupid tier in terms of guild politics and a big reason why I went on a break anyway. Mostly it was due to being benched a ton for some reason. The reason I got when I approached guild leadership about it was because I didn't go toxic when benched, not making a big deal out of it, thinking it's only fair to rotate people. Until it became a habit. It was sort of easy to bench me because you wouldn't get any shit about it afterwards (there was quite a lot of loot drama etc during Legion from other raiders, favoritism caused a few other ppl to quit etc). In hindsight it would probably have benefited me to go apeshit about some things, but that's not me, I'm generally a pretty calm individual.

This was eventually alleviated a bit by offering a spot to tank going forward (when the current OT was stepping down) but in reality this didn't actually happen either (apart from that short period, the old OT was still around for Argus progress). It may have, in time, but I had had enough by that point. Especially since I had leveled and partly geared a bear for that purpose, which was kinda wasted effort.

I never really got a clear answer why, but I feel every time I was in (as tank or dps), I did just fine. Was definitely not for lack of dps or because I was screwing up constantly.

Not sure what videos are out there. In wowprogress there are only a few, and from memory I can say I wasn't in for KJ/Avatar, but was in for Gul'dan/Helya/Xavius. Individual bosses I don't remember, but Antorus/ToS were unfortunately spent mostly in raid group 5 for reasons outlined above.
2) If you were MS tank, have you played DPS roles before at a good level? It is not easy to swap roles to DPS for the first time and be putting out great numbers
I've played mainspec DPS for about half my "raiding career". Starting out in WotLK-Naxx as DPS, forming a splinter guild for Cataclysm and tanking from there until that group disbanded during Mannoroth progress (WoD), which was when I joined eXample as DPS. MS tank was really only for a few weeks in Antorus (Aggramar progress and a few kills of Coven/Vari). My main concern agreeing to that deal was "how hard would it be to get into the tanking mindset again", but had no issues with the tanking I did end up doing.

So I have plenty of experience of both, but recent years my main focus has been in DPS, and didn't even considered applying to play tank mainspec.
3) I hope you recognise that going from world 30 to world 300 guild that we are obviously less hardcore than your current guildmates. This will mean that we will be less prepared, less organised and sometimes make stupid mistakes more often than you might be used to in your current raid setting. This will lead to slower progress and some frustrating wipes. Are you sure that this is something you would be OK with?
It's something I thought about for quite some time, and it obviously is a downgrade, but I don't think I'll have any problems with it. While I was in a 30-something ranked guild for some time, my best raiding experiences were in a much lower ranked guild, granted we played 10man when it was "as difficult as 25" (https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/sh ... .tier15_10) but converted to 25 during Siege (in the wake of "mythic will be 20man only"-news). The higher the ranks went, the more unstable the whole guild became (and consequently, probably less fun).

My only actual "goal" since WotLK has been "I want to kill everything while current content", high ranks mostly came on the side by not having anything better to do with my time than level alts and you seem to have been doing that without alts :) Quitting in Antorus was a really hard decision because I didn't kill Argus while current. But being in progress pulls is a big deal too.

I did check your "first kill" dates on wowprogress and compared them a bit to eXample and of course there is a difference. Some of it is due to eXample raiding more hours and more days (more than twice the hours even when only considering hours actually raiding short term, done with tier faster equals less hours spent after that etc etc), as well as gearing with split raids to counter dps checks. All of that takes a lot of time, and I was never very fond of the "alts must be at least this high to enter" -style of preparing but it came with the territory... in the end, "hours spent to kill endboss" is not necessarily that much different.
whatasham
Officer
Officer

Post by whatasham » 03 Sep 2018, 21:55

thanks for thorough replies.

i added you to bnet - sham#2569
Sov
Officer
Officer
Battle tag: sov#2531